Fascists Gone Wild
- by Grainne
- Posted on 16 April, 2010
Recent news coverage of E-list celebrity Jesse James engaging in a relationship with a possible Neo-Nazi/White Pride tattooed lady surprisingly had me contemplating.
The headlines read like a Fascists Gone Wild commercial. Drugs, sex, pole dancing and Sieg Hiel! In reality I was wondering is this where Neo-Nazi-ism is heading? Mainstream media meltdown? Have things gotten so bad that no room is available for this on Jerry Springer? Where are all the real Neo- Fascists and what are they up to?
Which led me on a long and somewhat troubling search, a search to see if I could suss out what agendas the Neo-Fascists/Nazis/Skinheads are currently working on, after all they just might be sending out heavily inked Fem Bots to distract us.
First off let’s talk about the difference between being a fascist and a neo-fascist. This is something that neo-fascists tend to get tripped up on, which is why you will sometimes hear the strange and discombobulating war cry “You Fascist Pig!” come flying out of their mouths. It’s confusing and one wonders if they do it just for that reason, but no.
The word fascism comes from the Latin fasces, a group of tightly bundled rods with an axe head protruding from one end, a Roman symbol of power and unity. It is itself is hard to define but generally it is a philosophy or system of government that bears with it stringent social and economic control, a strong, centralized government usually headed by a dictator (elected or not), and often a policy of belligerent racism and nationalism.
Columbia University’s contribution to Answers-dot-com section on “fascism” notes:
While socialism (particularly Marxism) came into existence as a clearly formulated theory or program based on a specific interpretation of history, fascism introduced no systematic exposition of its ideology or purpose other than a negative reaction against socialist and democratic egalitarianism. The growth of democratic ideology and popular participation in politics in the 19th century was terrifying to some conservative elements in European society, and fascism grew out of the attempt to counter it by forming mass parties based largely on the middle classes and the petty bourgeoisie, exploiting their fear of political domination by the lower classes. [In the American South, this dread was aimed at blacks, and the bogeyman of black rule was repeatedly invoked, along with the black sexual satyr, to fuel anti-black pogroms.—S.G.] Forerunners of fascism, such as Georges Boulanger in France and Adolf Stker and Karl Lueger in Germany and Austria, in their efforts to gain political power played on people’s fears of revolution with its subsequent chaos, anarchy, and general insecurity. They appealed to nationalist sentiments and prejudices, exploited anti-Semitism, and portrayed themselves as champions of law, order, Christian morality, and the sanctity of private property.
Unlike its forerunner fascism, neo-fascism can encompass almost anything a group is against. However, it usually includes nationalism, anti-immigration policies or, where relevant, nativism anti-communism and opposition to the parliamentary system and liberal democracy. While Centralized government is to be avoided and disdained on the agreed upon “outside” within neo-fascist groups there is a definite pecking order. Neo-fascist are belligerent in their racism and nationalism. Very often neo-fascists feel themselves to be Anarchist, however they are anything but as they usually proscribe to rules of behavior modeled on military codes.
This neo-fascism much like its predecessor, is highly attractive to the middle and blue collar classes; those who see themselves as the maligned and abused backbone of our country. Gore Vidal put it well when he spoke to the case of Timothy McVeigh. Stating that McVeigh “needed a self-consuming cause to define him [self].” (Vidal’s account, “The Meaning of Timothy McVeigh,”)
That out of the way, let’s talk about just where these neo-fascists and their close relatives the neo-Nazis have been and what they have been up to.
Things fascists are doing to keep themselves busy:
- Joining the army and killing people in other countries- A very large portion of those who belong to neo-fascist groups joined the military when restrictions were relaxed due to our current continuing conflict. A war against another nation is the perfect place to take out your belligerent supremacy. But there is something more driving this as well. John Kifner, writing for the New York Times on July 7th 2009 noted: A decade after the Pentagon declared a zero tolerance policy for racist hate groups, recruiting shortfalls caused by the war in Iraq allowed large numbers of “Neo Nazis and skinhead extremist” to infiltrate the military, according to watchdog information. The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which track racial and right wing militia groups, estimated the numbers could run into the thousands, citing interview with defense department investigators and reports and postings on racist web sites and magazines. “We’ve got Aryan Nation graffiti in Baghdad.” The group quoted a defense department investigator.
- Joining the Westboro Baptist Church-Baptist Church is perhaps one of the most dangerous churches in our nation. When the KKK sites on their official website that they do not condone your actions and want nobody to misunderstand that, you have gone past all reason. This church has been responsible for protests that very often get ugly. They also have a handy dandy hell counter on their web page so all their followers can see how many people are going to hell today for belonging to other less radical churches. They are the ones you see at Tea Parties with Guns, they are the ones who turn up in support of murderers when black teens are killed. Heck they don’t even limit it to race; they also took a trip up to Salt Lake City and hassled the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by burning their sacred clothing in Temple Square.
- Joining Tea Parties-Recently attending tea parties as we all know has not just been for your Nanna and March Hares. Radical Right supporters with no more information than a slogan have been turning out to question our government officials in the most obnoxious ways possible. This had been a popular pass-time for neo-fascists until…
- Quitting Tea Parties- came into fashion. That’s right when everyone showed up to these tea parties they just weren’t prepared for how many Nanna’s actually were there. They wanted something stronger, more in your face with blood pumping action which is why they are now…
- Joining Coffee Parties- I kid you not. Coffee is stronger than tea, everyone knows that. So for a more in your face experience at thumbing your nose at health care you can go for coffee. No sugar.
- Having keg parties (kidding)-this goes without saying doesn’t it? After all where else are you going to play all the Head banging “Oi!” music that neo-fascist and neo-Nazi groups are sponsoring. Real exciting bands with names like Rebel Yell and Death’s Head.
- Getting sent to jail mostly for methamphetamine use, production and distribution- Sad but true, nothing funds and fuels a revolution like speed and the Neo’s are no dummies, they learned how to cook and distribute from well set up groups like The Hell’s Angels. As often happens some fool doesn’t follow the rules and winds up getting caught, but no worries, this simply provides an opportunity for recruiting.
- Becoming Minute Men to patrol the borders-As outlined neo-fascists and Nazi’s alike do not like other races, groups of people or incursions into what they feel is theirs. The new Minute Men incarnation which patrols our borders (free of charge people) is a perfect match for those so inclined. They get to practice all the paramilitary training they get at their retreats.
- Hosting paramilitary training-Well thought out retreats into secluded areas of woodland and desert is available for those who would like to learn paramilitary skills. As I happen to know someone who attended one such training I can tell you they offer all kinds of good and useful information like how to pick a lock, hotwire a car and the love and care of your best bud…your gun.
- Hangin’ at gun shows- Gun shows are a mixed bag. You will find a lot of weirdoes there, people with messed up ideas about first amendment rights, gun education and so on. However it is a great way to travel and network with other neo-fascist/Nazi groups. Want to know what’s goin’ down in Chi-town? Get a handle on the White Pride movement in the ATL? Travelling to gun shows will help you network.
- Going to the box office- Everyone loves a blockbuster movie and what the neo-fascist fancies may be something you like as well. The best loved scripts are ones in which the fantasy of vigilantism comes into play. Favorites include movies like Watchmen, Sin City, Blade, Public Enemy and a slew of Western and War movies.
- Going Pimp Daddy on the video-yo! – Hand in hand with this love of fantasy goes video playing. Neo-Fascist love to blow things up and shoot shit to Hell and back. Grand Theft Auto, Full Metal Jacket and Splinter Cell are the types of games you will find.
- Hating on Kanye West- The new face of “The Man”- If there’s one thing a neo-fascist and neo-Nazi hate, Hate, HATE without fail it is an uppity Negro. In fact this hate has given way to putting the Black man in the archetype of “The Man”, as in “The Man” is responsible for my downward turn. “The Man” has more than he needs. “The Man” needs his ass kicked. Kanye West is far from perfect and he is far from the only uppity one on their list but he is right up there by our President.
- Maintaining websites and .org’s- It’s a new era for all of us and yes there are neo- fascists who are also tech geeks. Here’s a list of sites and organizations that the Anti-Defamation League feels like you should be aware of:
-American Nazi Party
-Ku Klux Klan- This group in actuality has fewer ties to Neo-Fascism and Neo-Nazi-ism than you may think.
-Libertarian National Socialist Green Party
-National Independents Movement
-National Socialist Party of America
-Overthrow.com (Bill White)-shut down by the FBI
-White Aryan Resistance
- They are poets. –Putting their sensitive side to good use they write inspired prose with titles sure to move you like “Obamy’s Mammy” and “One Flew Over the Gook’s Nest”. (Real titles)
- Amalgamating religions. – Apparently being White is a God given supremacy but it’s okay if you worship Odin and call on Valkyries too!
- Learning new languages – Well one, namely German so as to write crazy kewl lyrics and pass notes in class. I did however run across a guy who claimed he could read Norse runes; he could not however translate my shirt which had the rune for snow on it.
- They’re goin’ to Church!-Seriously. A group called The Creativity Movement has called on members to visit various churches and synagogs and “educate” non-believers. (the accepted belief being white supremacy)
So you see neo-fascists and neo-Nazis haven’t disappeared or degenerated into pure debauchery as TMZ and E! News would have us believe. They are employed in endeavors from the serious to the sensitive. They are working on building their organizations, making life better for the beaten down White Folk.
http://www.godhatesfags.com/- Westboro Baptist Church
Grainne Rhuad – Reckless Celbrity Behavior has Grainne asking, what’s up with the Fascists?
Scary article. Good to be aware about what’s out there. I get the sense that the movement is all over the place. Meaning not much of a centralized or organized movement.
OMG, really what else need be said .. ……. these people have been around, in one form or another, forever …. hatred is a drug of choice for lack of effort, a lack of understanding and compassion and a complete lack of love .. these people know no peace, what no peace, like Sarah Palin, they believe God is a warrior and that conflict and domination are they only way to preserve a life protected from intellectuals and do gooder’s who believe that life is to be LIVED and not just survived. This scares me more than I can say … my first reaction is to have them all killed .. and their children sterilized .. but then, I would be one of them …… wonderful and thought provoking piece … thanks !!!
You do realize that many of the things mentioned in this article do not just apply the Neo-fascists and Right-wing nutters, right? I know plenty of people from all ideological and racial backgrounds that are involved in things like gun shows, citizen’s border patrols and militia movements (hell, there are even LEFT-wing militias out there – but they don’t get a whole lot of press). Furthermore, I don’t think that such things are necessarily “bad” things in and of themselves: gun shows allow access to weapons that many stores wouldn’t normally carry (and at good prices – I almost always do my weapon shopping there); the government that’s supposed to be policing the border has done a terrible job of it (most likely intentionally to increase the supply of cheap labor for the special interests), so I can understand that citizens who are sick of having their property destroyed by illegal immigrants (many of these citizens being of Hispanic background themselves, BTW) form their own patrols; the government sponsored military has for too long been the monopolizing power on force (which goes against the constitution, which grants the individual state the ability to support their own militias), so it’s only natural for citizens of *all* backgrounds (not just Neo-nazis and far-right wingnuts) to form their own defensive militias to act as a counter-balance to that monopoly; ect…
I’m not a Neo-fascist or right-wing nutter, but I think that maybe we could learn a thing or two from them – perhaps it’s time for people who enjoy their individual sovereignty (people like you and me) to start browsing the gun shows and forming their own militias. That way, when this bloated behemoth known as the federal government finally dies they will have a fighting chance against the Neo-fascist militias: they are getting organized, it’s time we do the same.
I’m offended. I’m a black coffee drinker, but i’ll bet my black coffee would rattle the hairless nerve endings of a Neo-Nazi. Seriously, i realize your article is just pointing out how Neo-Nazism is infiltrating social common interests, but i still have to throw in a few of my cents worth of opinion.
Gun shows have as loose a crowd attraction as auctions and antique car shows. Some people simply collect guns; antique fire arms, well crafted rifles, rare hand gun issues. Some are subsistence hunters, farmers or survivalists looking for a good bargain. Some people enjoy the sport of sharp shooting in the same manner a person might enjoy throwing knives, sword play or archery. There is no animosity involved against neighbors; simply the enjoyment of honing a skill.
It’s unfortunate that Neo-Nazism has seeped back into domain of motorcycle gangs when many of the old groups have done a lot to try and clean up their acts over the last thirty years or so. I know a number of ex-hell’s angels, brother’s band and other assorted groups who have spent their middle aged years working as counselors for drug rehabilitation programs, volunteered their efforts for homeless programs and have donated funds to children services.
One thing about meth-heads; their physical health has a very short life-time. Once that meth begins consuming all their calcium and vitamins, you can knock them over with a finger. Their speed induced state also creates a freeway transit for viruses and bacterial infections. Mentally, they really go to shit. Their thought processes cannot keep up with their mental activity, and in very short time, the synapses of coherency collapse. It’s a fool’s transit whose greatest danger lies in explosive and destructive action before the full onslaught of deterioration through methamphetamine’s sets in.
Neo-Nazism encourages the use of random acts of violence to make it appear there is no set organization, but their message is unified, a favoritism for elitist practices without regard for ethnic differences, and a belief that they have the right to impose their chosen priorities through violence. Neo-Nazism is not to be confused with revolutionary principles. Revolution is the tool used to evolve government into levels more acceptable by the populations as a whole. Neo-Nazism’s motivation is to take the tools of revolution to create a supremacy based on race. Many people are willing to join a revolution that fights to protect their religious beliefs, their racial integrity and their cultural values, but when they become the suppressors of others, they become the Neo-Nazi’s.
Your article points out well the need to differentiate between the two, as our country becomes more riveted with dissent. We must choose our sides wisely because one way points to the dominance of racial profiling and politics while the other leads down a tangled path of true revolutionary spirit, the understanding and humane treatment of all people. Thank you for a very lively, informative and well written article.
Both Christopher and Karlsie make good points about gun shows and other orgainizations, they are places where everyday folk hang out as well. It was not my intention to scare anyone away from gun shows. Indeed it was not my intention to pass judgement on any of this at all, only to point out that while the media is clowning neo-Nazi’s and neo-fascists those who fall under that catagorie are plugging along in their various endevours.
Also, this group is more orgainized than we might like to think, they have rallies, festivals and get-togethers of all kinds. They are globally active, mostly in western Europe, Australia and the United States.
I understand the point you were trying to make, but the manner in which you communicated your thoughts may give those who are uninitiated to such things as gun shows or militia movements (and their numbers are many) the impression that such things are largely dominated by hate groups such as the Neo-nazis – thus the reason I felt compelled to point out that such things are not just for fascists.
Timothy McVeigh was a despicable person that has gotten way more attention than he ever should have other than as an example of someone who was criminally insane.
Re: McVeigh, I can’t disagree, neither can I speak to him as this article isn’t about him. The Gore Vidal quote was used to display what psycho-social reasoning occurs in fascist types. McVeigh however is an interesting study in blue collar disinfranchisement.
You missed out chimpout.com, though I think it’s gone offline recently.
Here in India we have the Hindunazis, who are very closely modelled on the Nazis, whom they love and intensely admire. They are at least as dangerous as your neo-fascists, probably more so, because they have the tacit support of the Indian state.
Hey, wait…. *I* like Watchmen and Sin City!!!
Okay, is that pinup serious??
I like Watchmen and Sin City too Savvy, don’t worry. The point is vigilantism and the fantasy of acting it out is very popular in certain cirlces.
The pin-up is entirely serious. The older one is one of the “saucier” ones I could find. Most were mums and children playing…All for the Motherland, you know.
Hey, what’s a little vigilanteism between friends?? ;^) Actually, I do find vigilanteism appealing, but I think most of America does too (through stupider films, usually starring a big muscly Austrian or a slurring Stallone): it’s the underdog-lover in us, our wish to see right done, no matter the cost. Most of us, however, realize this is an unrealistic fantasy.
As for the pin-up, I asked because I was surprised. It looks more like something from a “naughty fetishist” website that just finds the imagery sexy, not a real symbol. That’s why I wondered. I guess tattoos are part of the new movement? Surprising, since the old image is so clean-cut.
Fantastic read, I just handed this onto a colleague who was doing a little researching on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him…. smile.. So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!But yeah Cheers for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and really like learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
“did he say? INDEED”
Hey, magic stuff, but WordPress screws it up on my screen. Maybe it’s the widget you have on the site. Have you considered Joomla?
NS is not fascism. Get some education!